This week (10/13 to 10/19) was alright, but not as successful as I would have liked:
Restaurant spending: $0
School lunch spending: $2.15 (1 lunch)
Grocery store spending: $56.62 (includes sales tax)
I spent quite a bit at the grocery store this week. I bought: 5 pound block of cheddar, 2 loaves of French bread, 1 pkg. pre-made pie crusts, 2 bags marshmallows (ingredient in a party treat at the end of the month), 2 bottles of lemon-lime soda, 4 bags tortilla chips, 2 bag of potato chips, 2 pound sliced ham, 1 pound dry roasted peanuts 1/2 gallon millk, 3 cartons yogurt, 3 bell peppers, 2 pounds grapes, 2 packages flour tortillas, 1/2 gallon apple cider, 1 quart half & half, 1 package white chocolate chips (for party treats), 1 bag milk chocolate chips (for party treats), 1 can tuna, and 1 loaf oat bran bread.
Talk about jumping off the homemade/frugal wagon and onto the convenience/junk food wagon! It was just one of those weeks, and they happen. But I'll give myself credit where credit is due -- we had a busy Saturday away from the house and it would have been so, so tempting to have a late lunch out, but we resisted and came home for a nice veggie and pasta meal at home.
Here's what we ate this past week, most of which was already in the freezer, fridge and pantry:
Breakfasts and Lunches:
- Our breakfasts and lunches were very similar to last week's, consisting mostly of hot cereals, leftovers and/or simple sandwiches.
- Kat requested one school lunches this week, which was sliced ham with whole grain pancake, tater tots, and choice of two of carrot sticks, pear halves, apple wedges or orange wedges.
Suppers: (A friend gave us a large venison roast that his family didn't want to eat; we stretched it into several meals for us, plus the scraps and trimmings were ground into a treat for our outdoor cat.)
- Whole wheat pasta with tapenade, spinach, zucchini, oven dried tomatoes and feta cheese; garlic toast.
- Chili (pork) with toppings (sour cream, cheese), tortilla chips, apple pie.
- Venison stew, sliced French bread with butter, cole slaw, apple pie.
- Venison fajitas (meat, peppers, onions, mushrooms, cheese, sour cream, HM salsa), homemade refried beans from homegrown pinto beans, lettuce salad with tomatoes and homemade dressings.
- Venison fajita-egg tortilla wraps (basically leftover fajita ingredients stretched with scrambled eggs), refried beans, lettuce salad.
- Venison lasagna, garlic toast, green beans, spinach.
- Miscellanous leftovers from other meals.
Drinks this week were water, coffee, iced tea, hot tea,milk, lemon-lime soda, hot chocolate, apple cider, and beer. Snacks were hummus with tortilla chips, apple pie, grapes, potato chips, and bread with butter.